The symbol of Malcesine is its Castle, rebuilt by the Scaliger family around about 1300.
The Castle halls contain the Monte Baldo and Garda Natural History Museum, the “Gallery Room” and the former powder magazine. It was built by the Austrians, now dedicated to W. Goethe with several drawings made by the poet during his “Trips to Italy”.
The 31 m high tower with its irregular pentagonal shape dominates Malcesine, raising at about 70 m above the lake.
The Castle was declared a national monument in 1902.