The symbol of Malcesine is its Castle, rebuilt by the Scaliger family aronud about 1300. The Castle halls contain the Monte Baldo and Garda Natural History Museum, the "Gallery Room" and the former powder magazine. It was built by the Austrians, now dedicated to W. Goethe with several drawings made by the poet during his "Trip to Italy". The fortress of Malcesine dates back to the last centuries of the first millenium B.C. even if some other well-founded sources maintain that the first to build the castle were the Longobards around the half of the first millenium A.D. The castle was destroyed by the Franks in 590 A.D. and then rebuilt. In 806 the building hosted king Pepin, who came to Malcesine to visit the Saints Benigno and Caro and, after the Hungarians invasions, it was included in the episcopal feud of Verona. It was under Alberto della Scala's and his family's control from 1277 to 1387. During this period the Scaliger renovated the fortress which started to be referred to as "Scaliger castle" and it was occupied by the House of Visconti from 1387 to 1403. Two years later, it was incorporated into the dominion of the Republic of Venice and remained under its control until 1506 when it was conquered by the Empire. The castle changed hands several times: it was owned by the Republic of Venice once again from 1516 to 1797, then by the French, followed by the Austrians which accomplished significant strengthening works inside the building and remained here from 1798 to 1866. From that year on, it became a Venetian's ownership. On 22 August 1902 the castle was declared a national monument.
Adults € 6,00
Reduced ( over 65 and from 14 to 18 years old) € 5,00
Kids (from 6 to 13 years old) € 3,00
Free (from 0 to 5 years old)
from 1th april to 30th april 2023 from 9.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m
from 1st May to 1st October 2023 from 9.30 a.m. to 7.30 p.m
from 2nd October to 2nd November 2023 from 9.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m