Malcesine is situated on the north-eastern side of Lake Garda, at the foot of Mount Baldo. It is the northernmost town of the side of the lake belonging to the province of Verona. The "Gardesana Orientale SR 249" runs along the town connecting the towns situated on the southern art of the lake with the ones located up north.
Arriving by plane, by train, by bus or by car
How to get to Malcesine from the airport
You can catch the bus or the train to get from the airport to Lake Garda and Malcesine, but you can also book a transfer to your accommodation facilities.
- Villafranca-Verona Valerio Catullo airport: 60 km away from Malcesine.
- Brescia/Montichiari Gabriele D'Annunzio airport: 87 km away from Malcesine.
- Bergamo Orio al Serio airport:140 km away from Malcesine.
- Venice Marco Polo airport: 190 km away from Malcesine.
- Milan Linate airport: 180 km away from Malcesine.
- Milan Malpensa airport: 220 km away from Malcesine.
How to get to Malcesine from the nearest railway stations
If you want to travel with Trenitalia, you should buy your ticket in advance in order to avoid being assessed an extra charge or a fine on board. You can buy your ticket online on Trenitalia internet site, or you can call this number 89 20 21 (toll number), you can buy it at the ticket office, you can use a self service machine or you can buy it at partner travel agencies. Regional non electronic tickets must be validated.
- Verona Porta Nuova railway station: 60 km away from Malcesine.
- Peschiera del Garda railway station: 50 km away from Malcesine.
- Rovereto railway station: 33 km away from Malcesine.
Travelling to Malcesine by bus
The northern part of Lake Garda is in the province of Trento, the eastern part belongs to the Verona province, whereas the western part is in the province of Brescia.
- from Verona: Travel by bus ATV numbers 163/164 and 483/484, with change in Garda.
- from Peschiera:Travel by bus ATV numbers 483/484.
- from Rovereto, Riva and Torbole: Travel by bus from Rovereto to Torbole or Riva del Garda with Trentino Trasporti: catch the bus number 332.
- from Torbole or Riva del Garda with ATV bus service: catch the bus number 483/484.
Travelling by car to Lake Garda
The SS 249 "Gardesana Orientale" runs along the eastern coast of the lake while the SS 45 bis "Gardesana Occidentale" runs along the western shore.
Motorway A22 Brennero-Modena connects the towns located along the eastern and northern shore of Lake Garda, whereas motorway A4 Milano-Venezia connects the towns located along the southern shore.
- A22 - Brennero/Modena: motorway exit Rovereto Sud/Northern Lake Garda. It is situated 37 km away from Malcesine.
- A22 - Brennero/Modena: motorway exit Affi. It is situated 37 km away from Malcesine.
- A4 - Milano/Venezia: motorway exit Peschiera. It is situated 47 km away from Malcesine.
Get around in Malcesine on foot, by bicycle, by car or by the public transport buses
Where to park in Malcesine
- Campogrande car park: It is situated just behind the Tourist Information Centre along the via Gardesana.
- Piazza Statuto: It is situated in the town centre, next to the port: This car park is not accessible on saturday morning during the market hours.
- Paina: It is situated in Località Paina, to the north of the Castle, next to the beach.
- Ex Colonie Milano: It is situated just next to the Cable car station, in Via Navene Vecchia.
- Coach and Campers park: It is situated in Località Retelino, 1 km to the north of Malcesine, next to the beach.
- Viale Roma
- Bassinel - Funivia 3
How to get around in Malcesine
It's very easy to get around on foot or by bicycle in Malcesine as it is quite a small town. A cycle lane connecting Castelletto di Brenzone to Navene is also available. It runs along the shore so that you can walk or ride away from the hustle and bustle of the "via Gardesana".
Some hotels in Malcesine, especially the ones located outside the town centre, offer bike or city bike rent service.
Furthermore, during high season, there's a Tourist Bus service going from Malcesine to Cassone or from Malcesine to Navene covering all Malcesine's territory.
Getting around in Malcesine by tourist bus
The bus service is available everyday (from april to october): from 8.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. and from 4.00 p.m. to 11.00 p.m.;
The Tourist bus leaves every hour from Malcesine, goes to Cassone, comes back to Malcesine, heads to Navene passing through Via Navene Vecchia (the street to the cable car) and goes back to Malcesine passing through Via Gardesana. You can buy it on board, in restaurants, shops and partner hotels.
Getting around in Malcesine by bus
Even if the bus timetable lists only four bus stops (Cassone, Val di sogno, Malcesine and Navene) there is one stop every 1/1,5 km.